Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Funny Farm!

I hope you all are doing well and doing something wonderful this weekend! We are off to the local fair today and I am pretty excited. Each year there is a booth that offers tacos and oh how I love those! Can't wait! With all the excitement of the fair in town, I was inspired to to use "Home" and "Hayride" from Artistic Outpost to create a mixed media hanging. There is still plenty of time to join in AO's August Challenge, "Show us your AO Art," so go get inky! I will also be linking this with the lovely Inspiration Journal's "Anything Goes" challenge.


At first the plan was to make a 6" x 6" card using some designer paper from ODBD's "Blooming Garden" for a nice background beginning. I just love that beehive and the darling kids from "Hayride" make such great beekeepers!


All images were stamped in Archival Sepia, the kids fussy cut, the edges around the barn scene from "Home" torn and I cut apart the sentiment. How many remember that song, "There coming to take me away to the Funny Farm?" My Mom and me would just sing that and be so silly! Anywho, I used a little foam applicator to add a little color to the images and of course did some distressing coloring.


I used Wendy Vecchi's "Honeycomb" stencil, of course, to add a little texture and then decided to carry it over onto the red paper backing and corrugated cardboard. I also added another panel of chipboard to the cardboard as I don't like it when things get that warpy look. The texture paste was colored by adding a little Vintage Photo stain and then after it dried, using an applicator added Vintage photo DI. The corrugated cardboard was painted with a mix of buttermilk, red, brown paint and used the red to highlight. I used Barn Red stain to color the cheesecloth, then added a few embellishments.


Thank you for stopping by today. And if you missed my Bluebird tag card from last week, it was shared yesterday at AO, so stop on over.

Stamps: Artistic Outpost: Hayride, Home
Inks: Archival Sepia, Distress Vintage Photo, Brushed Corduroy, Antique Linen, Barn Red, Tattered Rose
Stains: Barn Door, Vintage Photo
Paints: Americana Light Buttermilk, Fresco Finish  London Bus and Chocolate Pudding


21 comments:

2amscrapper said...

love how you carried over the honeycomb stencil.

Valerie-Jael said...

This is gorgeous Terry. Have fun at the fair, and don't eat too many of those yummy tacos, will you? Hugs, Valerie

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A great creation, fantastic details.

Redanne said...

What a great hanging Terry, love the stenciling in the background and the beehive looks great. I do remember the song! Hope you have a lovely time at the fair. Hugs, Anne xx

Anonymous said...

I love the feeling you achieved on your card, it has a lovely cosy, nostalgic feel to it. It reminds me of when I was a child and I would watch Little House On The Prairie.
I love that stencil!
Wishes
Lynne

Astrid Maclean said...

Fabulous card Terry, it has such a wonderful nostalgic feel to it and such fabulous use of those wonderful stamps, love what you did here!!

Shirley said...

Great scene TT and those taco's sound delicious. Mmmm yummy.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

Sandra said...

Gorgeous hanging, Terry! Hope you had fun at the fair! Hugs, Sandra

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Such a nice hanging with the happy girls on the farm, the great colours and other materials you've used Terry!
Have a nice Sunday, Alie :-)

Unknown said...

Love the great country feel of your card Terry, you have really captured days gone by!! Hope you had a lovely day at the fair! Hugs, Ira x
Ira’s Crea Corner

Electra said...

Love the textures in this, you have inspired me to dig out my honeycomb stencil!

Meggymay said...

Fantastic piece Terry love the stencils. hope you enjoyed the fair.
Yvonne x

Marjie Kemper said...

So pretty, Terry! Love the coloring and the stenciled honeycombs.

Words and Pictures said...

What a wonderful rustic, homespun look! Brilliant textures too... fabulous work with those great stamps, Terry!
Alison xx

Inkypinkycraft said...

Terry you do make me smile! Another wonderful piece for Artistic Outpost x hugs x

1CardCreator said...

This is lovely Terry, and congrats on the feature at AO too! ~Diane

Netty said...

Loving your latest creation Terry, have a great time at the fair. Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

Michele said...

i love this. so much charm! xo

Jenny Marples said...

Love how the honeycomb texture brings this all together and helps to blend the farm elements together with the children. Jenny x

Hettie said...

I love this. The bee theme is close to my heart being a Beekeeper's wifie! I love all the detail and love it!
Hugs
xx

Sharon said...

This is fabulous - love the texture and the bee hive!!

Blog Archive